10 Proverbs About Friendship
The book of Proverbs is referred to as one of the Bible’s “wisdom books.” Among the topics it addresses is the importance of loyal friendship. Here’s a sampling:
- “Do not withhold good from those who need it, when you have the ability to help” (Proverbs 3:27, New English Translation).
- “The one who despises his neighbor sins, but whoever is kind to the needy is blessed” (Proverbs 14:21, NET).
- “Kind words are like honey—sweet to the soul and healthy for the body” (Proverbs 16:24, New Living Translation).
- “A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need” (Proverbs 17:17, NLT).
- “A person who has friends may be harmed by them, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother” (Proverbs 18:24, NET).
- “Many will say they are loyal friends, but who can find one who is truly reliable?” (Proverbs 20:6, NLT).
- “Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy” (Proverbs 27:6, NLT).
- “The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense” (Proverbs 27:9, NLT).
- “Never abandon a friend—either yours or your father’s. When disaster strikes, you won’t have to ask your brother for assistance. It’s better to go to a neighbor than to a brother who lives far away” (Proverbs 27:10, NLT).
- “As iron sharpens iron, so a person sharpens his friend” (Proverbs 27:17, NET).